Sunday, February 24, 2008

Barack Obama: “Slavery is Constitutional”

Had I not read the article and seen the video, I do not think I would have believed it. I am paraphrasing here but Barack Obama has clearly stated while he supports the abolition of slavery, he believes that local governments may pass commonsense legislation allowing it. Furthermore, he believes this legislation to be Constitutional.

Excuse me for any lack of nuance or my simplistic attitude toward the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments to United States Constitution. They are all very clear – especially the 13th.

What is “commonsense legislation” regarding slavery anyway?

Does that mean if a town is in need of ditch diggers, it may allow contractors to use slave labor? Is an exception to be made for farmers in need of large amounts of cheap labor? Does that mean a small town can make slave ownership completely legal without punishment against the slave owners and traders?

It is sadness that when I try to discuss this with any who support him. They cannot speak to it and only refer me to his website. When I view his website, there is nothing about slavery mentioned at all – even within the references to Africa.

Perhaps due to his non-negotiable COMMITMENT TO AFRICA – the only continent where slavery is still legal – he has the power to hold two completely contradictory beliefs in his mind simultaneously, and accept both of them.

No comments: