Sunday, May 20, 2007

Hey Lindsay!

From a link from a link from a link I found this. It sounds like the Senator is saying anyone who thinks the current amnesty bill is bad is a bigot. Is there any other way to interpret this?

If I want illegal aliens deported does that make me a bigot?

I know that the bill provides for some border fencing. If I think that fencing needs to be completed before Z-visas are distributed, does that make me a bigot?

The problem with calling someone a bigot in the face of this is that it lessens the meaning of the word. Websters defines a bigot as "a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance."

While I can and often am opinionated, I hardly think that it can apply to me. I have no problem asking difficult questions nor do I have a problem speaking my mind on race relations and the like. However, I understand that my opinions are based on my life experiences and I may lack the empathy to identify with others. I try to think of that when forming my opinions as well.

Does the fact that I am cynical toward the provisions of this bill and how it will be enforced make me a bigot?

I am reminded of junior high when I was called a racist for not giving my lunch money to the less fortunate black students who either did not have their own lunch money or already spent theirs on Addidas high tops. I was called a racist whenever I disagreed with blacks -regardless of what the topic was. I was called a racist for being white. (Although I might have enough American indian blood in me to qualify for something Not White, I do not bother...)

One problem that arises when calling people bigots who are not is that some of them will adopt the persona. The cliche "in for a penny, in for a pound" may apply.

Another problem is that the speaker loses credibility. In the future, Senator Graham may be telling Wonderful and Enlightening Truths. Those who he called a bigot will either ignore it or argue against it out of spite.

I now hold him and his opinions, much like I do Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, with the same regard as I do toilet paper. Perhaps less since toilet paper does have some personal use for me.

Here's a question: If I started an organization whose purpose was to be an advocacy for whites, to lobby government entities to earmark tax-funds for the advancement of whites, and to support groups that are trying to get Mexico back under U.S. control, would I be a bigot?

In reference to people with white skin, I could even call this organization "The Race."

Sen. Graham, you disgust me. SHUT UP!

No comments: