Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Serving Big Helpings of "Huh?"

From this article from the same people who published the names and addresses of CCW licensees in VA:
"After more than two centuries, America has gained more than enough experience to realize that an armed citizenry isn't "necessary to the security of a free state." Events of recent history suggest that citizens of other countries -- Iraq, Sudan and Bosnia spring quickly to mind -- would rather not have learned such lessons the hard way."
The man is trying to justify the repeal of the 2nd Amendment and the strict state control of owning firearms.

Here are my responses by country:

Iraq (under Saddam) - a relatively modern country by Middle Eastern standards; the average family may own one (1) rifle; 85% of the country is under harsh dictatorial rule by the other 15% and are poorly equipped to fight against them.

Sudan - a very UNmodern country where only the government may have firearms; "rebels" that are armed are free to commit atrocities, crimes against humanity, and genocide at will. First Christians and later black (or non-Arab) Muslims are massacred en masse.

Bosnia - a very modern country with all the education, amenities, and prospects of a European socialist state; very comparable to Finland or Lithuania; a large mix of Roman Catholic, Greek Orthidox, and Muslim people; except for police, people are not allowed to own firearms. Infighting among people in the name of religeon escalates to civil war. Withing two years, thousands of unarmed men and boys are put into mass graves and thousands of unarmed women and girls are forced to "work" in rape hotels.

Mr Denton, do you have any other examples? These seem not to help make your point.

If 30,000 people are killed every year in the U.S. (that is a number often touted but includes suicides as well as ) and the U.S. population is 300,000,000 (it is actually more with the aliens) that equates to one one-hundreth of one percent of the population. His examples of unarmed and "under armed" people all much higher.

That small fraction of the population, while tragic, is acceptable. Other modern examples of countries that have banned or severely restricted firearm usage often leave out other violent crime statistics when talking about reductions in "gun crimes."

Perhaps now more than ever is private ownership of arms necessary to the security of a free state.

No comments: