Sunday, December 03, 2006

I'll jump in too

I saw this on Kim du Toit's site and figured I'll jump off the bridge too.

BOLD = I’ve done it at least once.

01. Bought everyone in the bar a drink - however there weren't many of us there.
02. Swam with wild dolphins - nope. probably not gonna either.
03. Climbed a mountain - hiked up a few but nothing that would count as a "real" mountain.
04. Taken a Ferrari for a test drive - driven a friends around but never convinced a salesman to hand over the keys.
05. Been inside the Great Pyramid - Been on some lesser Pyramids. Didn't even think one could go "in" them or at least that they were open to tourists.
06. Held a tarantula - nope. probably not gonna either.
07. Taken a candlelit bath with someone - of course!
08. Said “I love you” and meant it - of course!
09. Hugged a tree - Yup. Only becaused I used to climb trees a lot and not out of any particular affect felt toward the tree.
10. Bungee jumped - Yup. Nanaimo, B.C. - 140 feet - converted for the Americans.
11. Visited Paris - A long layover actually. Walked from Arc d' Triomphe to the Eiffel Tower.
12. Watched a lightning storm at sea - Was stationed on board ship. Saw the storm but it was less impressive than the "lightning showers" in the West Texas deserts.
13. Stayed up all night long and saw the sun rise - a time or two.
14. Seen the Northern Lights - on the Things To Do Before I Die list.
15. Gone to a huge sports game - not much of a spectator but have attended a few 40k+ events.
16. Walked the stairs to the top of the leaning Tower of Pisa - Didn't think it could even be walked.
17. Grown and eaten your own vegetables - My grandparents, yes, but not my own.
18. Touched an iceberg - nope.
19. Slept under the stars - both in and out of the Corps.
20. Changed a baby’s diaper - lots and still doing it.
21. Taken a trip in a hot air balloon - nope. sounds cool though.
22. Watched a meteor shower - nope. another "sounds cool."
23. Gotten drunk on champagne - some other beverages may have been involved - I can't remember.
24. Given more than you can afford to charity - not unless you include property and income tax.
25. Looked up at the night sky through a telescope - yup. I had a pretty decent one and my older kid and I would look every now and then.
26. Had an uncontrollable giggling fit at the worst possible moment - raucious laughter maybe but no giggling.
27. Had a food fight - had an enormous one when I was 13.
28. Bet on a winning horse - nope. nor any other horse for that matter.
29. Asked a total stranger out - Yup. Married one of them.
30. Had a snowball fight - Several, although it only snows one or two days a year in TX so I'd make the most of them.
31. Screamed as loudly as you possibly can - often and still do. Usually just for fun.
32. Held a lamb - not one that wasn't already cooked.
33. Seen a total eclipse - nope. The stars were never aligned.
34. Ridden a roller coaster - several and likely will again.
35. Hit a home run - and made it to home base. ;^)
36. Danced like a fool and not cared who was looking - I've actually done this sober. Hell, I even line danced in Mexico City although that time may have involved alcohol.
37. Adopted an accent for an entire day - only because I though it would help the furriners around me understand me a bit better. I wasn't trying to fool anyone.
38. Actually felt happy about your life, even for just a moment - several times.
39. Had two hard drives for your computer - with mirroring and striping and sometimes just for the extra space.
40. Visited all 50 states - I might but have no inclination to do so.
41. Taken care of someone who was drunk - A time or three.
42. Had amazing friends - Yup. Some of which even fit into the last category.
43. Danced with a stranger in a foreign country - Yup. See that line dancing in Mexico thing above.
44. Watched wild whales - Was station in Monterey, CA for a while. They'd swim near the beaches and into the harbor on occasion.
45. Stolen a sign - probably a scavenger hunt. It was a while ago.
46. Backpacked in Europe - Dragged a bunch of suitcases without wheels around Europe though.
47. Taken a road-trip - bunches.
48. Gone rock climbing - in Canada, California, Oregon, and even a bit in Texas.
49. Midnight walk on the beach - in Monterey, Pacific Grove, Carmel.
50. Gone sky diving - this is officially on the Things To Do Before I Die list.
51. Visited Ireland - I have a sister named Shannon and had dinner at her house. Never the city though.
52. Been heartbroken longer than you were actually in love - no. It may be a sexist thing to say but that's silly for a man.
53. In a restaurant, sat at a stranger’s table and had a meal with them - in a few crowded cafeteria style restaurants, the dining cars on trains, if she was cute...
54. Visited Japan - Not sure if "visit" is the right word. I kinda lived there.
55. Milked a cow - eaten a few...
56. Alphabetized your CDs - all of the CDs I've ever owned would fit into both hands. I'm not a music junkie.
57. Pretended to be a superhero - not really but sometime I pretend to be a mere mortal.
58. Sung karaoke - several times as well. Devil Went Down to Georgia is my favorite.
59. Lounged around in bed all day - the kids really put a limit to this but there have been times when working for several days (and a few times a couple of weeks) straight that I'd crash and not wake up for 12 hours, then take a nap, then go to bed early.
60. Played touch football - because of my size and speed (bigger and faster than the average bear) I prefer tackle.
61. Gone scuba diving - not since I lived in Japan unfortunately. Very good fun though.
62. Kissed in the rain - may have even hugged a bit too.
63. Played in the mud - both in and out of the military.
64. Played in the rain - see the "kissing" in #62.
65. Gone to a drive-in theater - not for many years but I have.
66. Visited the Great Wall of China - but seen one on TV.
67. Started a business - several and will likely start several more.
68. Fallen in love and /not/ had your heart broken - and still falling too.
69. Toured ancient sites - the Teotihuacanos Sun & Moon pyramids in Mexico, cathedrals in Estonia (although that is still during recorded history).
70. Taken a martial arts class - both in and out of the military.
71. Played D&D for more than 6 hours straight - huh?
72. Gotten married - of course!
73. Been in a movie - was an extra in "Dangerous Curves" when they were filming at a hotel where I worked.
74. Crashed a party - it's usually bad enough inviting me...
75. Got divorced - nope.
76. Gone without food for 5 days - SERE school courtesy of the USMC.
77. Made cookies from scratch - usually w/ wife & kids.
78. Won first prize in a costume contest - was 8 years old when I wore one of six costumes made by a professional constume maker. I was a Jawa from Star Wars. Chewbacca was there to represent as well.
79. Ridden a gondola in Venice - or have even been to Venice.
80. Gotten a tattoo - and yet have no feelings of emptiness for not having done so.
81. Rafted the Snake River - no but I've tubed the Guadalupe!
82. Been on television news programs as an “expert” - no but I was an extra in "Dangerous Curves"!
83. Got flowers for no reason - neither given nor received.
84. Performed on stage - was the lead in "Computerized Christmas" for my 5th grade Christmas pagent.
85. Been to Las Vegas - and have a kid to prove it!
86. Recorded music - not my own.
87. Eaten shark - in Japan. You know how they are said to cut off the fin and throw the rest back? I think I had the "rest".
88. Kissed on the first date - and gone for a midnight walk too.
89. Gone to Thailand - courtesy of the USMC too. I played volleyball without using my hands.
90. Bought a house - a couple of times.
91. Been in a combat zone - ironically no.
92. Buried one/both of your parents - fortunately no.
93. Been on a cruise ship - not unless grey ones with "U.S.S." in their names count.
94. Spoken more than one language fluently - no but I'm illiterate in many.
95. Performed in Rocky Horror - see #23 above.
96. Raised children - The sources of my greatest frustrations and joys.
97. Followed your favorite band/singer on tour - nope. Never gonna either unless my wife or kids start singing professionally.
99. Taken an exotic bicycle tour in a foreign country - what's an exotic bicycle? Ferrari has "branded" bikes but I didn't think they made them.
100. Picked up and moved to another city to just start over - joined the Corps but I don't really count that.
101. Walked the Golden Gate Bridge - just the pedestrian section of it. I honestly can't remember if any of it went out to the bridge or if it was just near it.
102. Sang loudly in the car, and didn’t stop when you knew someone was
looking
- and without shame too.
103. Had plastic surgery - but I've had some metal work done.
104. Survived an accident that you shouldn’t have survived - not sure if this is worded correctly but I have been in some accidents that could have been fatal.
105. Wrote articles for a large publication - nope. Probably not gonna either.
106. Lost over 100 pounds - I lost over 40 pounds in one week from one accident that I had and the subsequent surgeries.
107. Held someone while they were having a flashback - no but I've worked with people who may have been.
108. Piloted an airplane - while this is on the list of Things To Do Before I Die, I hope it isn't the Last Thing I Do Before I Die.
109. Touched a stingray - in an aquarium petting zoo. They were small.
110. Broken someone’s heart - I believe I have to answer "yes" to this - sad to say.
111. Helped an animal give birth - no but it does sound interesting.
112. Won money on a T.V. game show - no but I won a can of Coke in a bingo game when I was seven at the local YMCA.
113. Broken a bone - not any of my own anyway.
114. Gone on an African photo safari - I'd love to do this as well as a hunting safari.
115. Had a facial part pierced other than your ears - I haven't had my ears pierce ever either.
116. Fired a rifle, shotgun, or pistol - a time or three.
117. Eaten mushrooms that were gathered in the wild - never smoked any of them though.
118. Ridden a horse - and I'm from Texas too. Imagine that.
119. Had major surgery - see #104 and #106 above. Among other things my abdomen wall was torn 1/4 of the way around my waist and my spleen was ruptured. No broken bones though.
120. Had a snake as a pet - no but I've eaten snakes.
121. Hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon - barely even been to AZ.
122. Slept for more than 30 hours over the course of 48 hours - oh yeah, usually as the result of recovering from several days / weeks of hard labor.
123. Visited more foreign countries than U.S. states - this might be something that I'll do in the future but right now I'm at about a 2:1 ratio.
124. Visited all 7 continents - on my list of Things To Do Before I Die. Right now, I'm at 4.
125. Taken a canoe trip that lasted more than 2 days - just close - 1.5 days.
126. Eaten kangaroo meat - ostrich, snakes, 'gators, lizards, snails, no 'roos though.
127. Eaten sushi - lots and fairly frequently.
128. Had your picture in the newspaper - a few times for grade school art work and athletics.
129. Changed someone’s mind about something you care deeply about - yes on multiple accounts. Most of these are a bit too personal for my blog though.
130. Gone back to school - several times.
131. Parasailed - I actually thought this was boring. I was just hanging there. After the view got "old" was ready to get down. I imagine hang gliding would be much more fun for me.
132. Touched a cockroach - both living and dead.
133. Eaten fried green tomatoes - despite living in the south, I haven't.
134. Read The Iliad - I haven't and I even have a copy (leather bound, inherited from a relative). Shame on me.
135. Selected one “important” author who you missed in school, and
read
- Yup. George Orwell. 1984 scared me more than anything Stephen King ever wrote.
136. Killed and prepared an animal for eating - I'm not including fish here. I've never actually been hunting despite being an avid shooter.
137. Skipped all your school reunions (so far) - just the 10yr. Haven't had any others.
138. Communicated with someone without sharing a common spoken
language
- seems everytime I leave the U.S. I do.
139. Been elected to public office - Nope. I'd rather be a tyrant who came to power by bloody coup.
140. Written your own computer language - This isn't entirely true. I've written many parsers and interpretors. I've written a mark up language for wireless devices.
141. Thought to yourself that you’re living your dream - I don't own a G550 and 80' Hatteras yet.
142. Had to put someone you love into hospice care - Not yet but getting pretty close.
143. Built your own PC from parts - just to see if I could. I may do it again depending on how much I can save and what I want.
144. Sold your own artwork to someone who didn’t know you - nothing that could be considered "traditional artwork" anyway.
145. Had a booth at a street fair - it was my wife's actually, who has sold her artwork (craftwork) to folks she didn't know.
146. Dyed your hair - never could find the right shade of purple.
147. Been a DJ - nope. Haven't even burned a CD of "hit" songs.
148. Shaved your head - if boot camp counts.
149. Caused a car accident - both caused them and been affected by them. Never hurt anyone else in one though.
150. Saved someone’s life - once for sure and a couple of Would Have Been Really Bads.

No comments: